Wake & Bake: a cookbook (the Second Edition) is now available for pre-order in Hardcore Hardcover and Classic Softcover. Due out Aug/Sept 2014! Free shipping on any order!
You know what they say,
“Delete an entire website once, shame on you. Delete an entire website once, wait… Why didn’t you back that shit up?”
For those of you who are familiar with Wake & Bake: a blog, you know that there used to several helpful posts about cooking with cannabis… Until I accidentally deleted the whole damn thing without ever backing it up. So now, I’m back to share the one tutorial that’s completely essential in learning how to have your very own homemade-edibles-throw-down:
The Cannabis Infused Coconut Oil Tutorial
This tutorial is the easiest on the planet. Sure, we can debate over decarboxylation and temperatures that destroy CBDs. We can talk about plunging the warm oil in a cold water bath to pull out impurities and improve taste, but that all comes later, in the Advanced Oil Tutorial.
If you’re already familiar with this process and have techniques that you’d like to add, please join the discussion in the comments section.
A couple of tips for beginners:
- Try to use organic shake or trim whenever possible.
- I made a huugge batch when I was making Wake & Bake: a cookbook (and… wink wink… nudge nudge… that sh*t’s available for pre-order in Hardcover & Softcover). You can make smaller batches using a 1:1 ratio, making sure to use enough coconut oil to cover the weed completely.
- If your oil ever begins to smoke, remove from heat immediately and let it cool a bit before beginning the process again with your crockpot on the lowest setting.
- If you don’t have a crockpot, you can make the oil in a pot on the stove. Just follow the same instructions and make sure that your heat source is on low.
- You don’t have to finely grind up the cannabis ( I think it makes it harder to strain, and doesn’t improve flavor or potency), but break it up a bit before you add it to the coconut oil.
- Have fun! Don’t fret over your canna-oil when it’s in the pot. People on the internet make this much more complicated then it has to be. This is a simple process and it should be enjoyable, not stressful.
1 1/8 Cup Coconut Oil
in a crockpot on low.
1 Cup Organic
Cannabis Trim, Shake or Buds
(about 1/4 oz.)
Stir every half hour or so. After 2-3 hours of heating and steeping, turn off the crockpot and allow the oil to cool before moving onto the next step.
3. Set up your strainer so it fits snugly in a container. Line with a large piece of cheesecloth.
5. Using a string or twist tie, gather the cheesecloth around the plant matter and secure.
6. Squeeeeeeze that sh*t.Save this satchel to make High Chai (page >>)
7. Pour oil into a pint jar and place in the fridge until cool. Seal with a lid. Store in refrigerator or in a cool, dark place.
Spread it on toast. Make wake & bake recipes with it. Rub it on your achy body parts. etc.
Let me know if you have any questions! I’d love to hear from you.
*This recipe is not intended for those who live in states and nations where cannabis is still illegal. Please support legalization efforts in your area. Always test the potency of your oil before incorporating it in these recipes. Remember to label your finished product and keep out of reach of children.